Monday, February 27, 2012

Spring Fever Already???





Has spring fever already hit??? I do believe it has!!! I am so ready to start planting my garden and it seems a few others are ready too around the area.

I normally don't go home for lunch anymore but I had forgot something I needed so I went home today. On the way there i went by a yard that has a huge garden and they had already tilled the soil! In February!! In Iowa!! What? Did I miss something???

I know in southern states its normal to start a garden this time of year but in Iowa we don't start anything outside until maybe late March. Normally we have snow right now but this winter has been very mild, maybe 3 or 4 snow storms top and only an average of 3 inches each time. That isn't what a normal Iowa winter is all about.

This past weekend I bought a gardening magazine for my dad to read in the hospital and I was getting ideas of what to plant and when to plant it. My brother thought I should get out in the garden and start cleaning it already. I had other ideas and so did my dad, wait for another month before we start anything. My dad has been around almost 80 years and has been farming or at least living on a farm most of his life. I think I am going to listen to him.

Now when I saw the garden that was tilled I had to wonder if they knew something I didn't. Is winter over already? Are we done having cold days and snow?? I think its a little early to tell but I wont complain if spring does show up a little early. Its not really good for the spring flowers or budding trees but I must say I like the warmer temps.

In the meantime until another month goes by I will just dream of being out in the garden, preparing the soil for another year of vegetable growing. There are a few new veggies that I will be trying this year and I cant wait!!!

0 comments: